When someone registers as a new user without an invitation they may need to be approved before they can join the system or a group.
- If theApprove new users user workflow setting is set toNo then they will not need approval by a user administrator.
- If the email address they registered with ends in one of the domains in thePre-approved domains user workflow setting then they will not need approval by a user administrator.
- Otherwise a user administrator will need to approve the new user before it can become active.
Here a user administrator is defined as someone with system permission to activate users, which will include those with the System administrator role.
If the person registering used the registration form within a blog or space then the process to join them to that group will start after their user has been activated:
- If theApprove new members member workflow setting in the group is set toNo then they will not need approval by a group administrator.
- If the Approve new users user workflow setting is set to Yes and the user who approved the new user is an administrator of the group or has the System administrator role then they will not need separate approval by a group administrator.
- Otherwise a group administrator will need to approve the new member before it can become active.
Here a group administrator is defined as someone with group permission to activate members, which will usually be those members with the Group administrator orGroup moderator role.
Note that if you go to the registration form while already logged in as a user then the permissions used will be those of the logged in user. If the logged in user has user administrator or group administrator permissions then the new user being created will skip the appropriate workflow stages.